Sunday, May 5, 2013

     I'm feeling good today because I started a new blog. It's called, "Halibut Cheeks." This blog will follow me through Webmaking 101 on P2PU.org.
 
     "What! Halibut Cheeks? Where'd you get a strange name like that?" you may be thinking. Actually, I just needed a unique name to distinguish this blog. And, the cheeks of the halibut are known to be the tastiest and most delicious part of the whole fish. As I learn webcraft, I hope to make this blog tasty and delicious... just like halibut cheeks!

     Why embark on Webmaking 101? Well, I'm learning how to code and this is a good way to put my new coding skills into use. I've got the foundations of HTML, CSS and JavaScript. Let's see what I can do with these fine languages.

    I do have experience with languages. I studied Spanish in high school, Latin in college and Vietnamese while living in Da Nang, VN over the past few years. What I like about programming languages is that I don't have to worry about pronunciation. If you've ever tried learning Vietnamese you'll know that it's got 6 different tones. That means you can pronounce the word, "ma," six different ways! And, each pronunciation has its own meaning!

While I don't have to worry about the correct pronunciation of any programming language, I do have to pay careful attention to syntax. One misplace semi-colon or bracket could mean disaster. I've already experienced the frustration of trying to run a code and getting error after error only to discover it was a comma in the wrong place.

Well, that's a little about me. What about you? How do you feel about programming languages? Do they tickle your fancy as they do mine?

2 comments:

  1. Awesome choice for a blog name! I too am starting the Webmaking 101 challenges today. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. Found your blog through Webcraft 101 comments. I like the way you compare human languages to programming languages, because it is a good food for thought.
    As for me, I'm very interested in learning computer languages. My background here is very poor as of now - I'm struggling to learn the basics of Python. But I find it extremely exciting.
    Hope to see regular updates from you. And good luck with learning.

    ReplyDelete